Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Shipwrecked….in Appalachia?

The sky is clear and blue. The leaves are just starting to bud on the trees. The mountains of Appalachia are filled with new life as I make my way home from a glorious Holy Week in the missions of North Carolina. As I start my descent down one mountain, signs on the shoulder indicate that there will be construction. I navigate one steep corner and have to slam on my breaks: traffic is backed up as two lanes are being made into one.

Instantaneously in my rear view mirror I see smoke, metal and plastic blasted through the air. And there it is: a massive logging truck out of control, on top of a Chevy Equinox, dragging it down the shoulder of the interstate. It careens off of several other vehicles, one of which goes flying past me in the left lane. The truck and demolished car are barreling on top of me. They are right next to me. I try helplessly to maneuver my car between these two out of control vehicles. Guardian angels must be real!

We come to a stop. My little Civic was spared of any contact. I pull my car over and rush to the scene of the accident. I could find anything…anything in these vehicles. I go straight to the pancake of an Equinox…four people occupy it—four people who are still alive!

Gasoline, oil, antifreeze and glass litter the interstate. It is not safe for these folks to be in the car. They indicate to me that they are ok. They must get out. A fire, or even worse, an explosion is possible. I help a little 8 year old girl out. She immediately is bawling uncontrollably. Then the mother; then a little boy, bloodied and bruised. Finally, the father who was driving.

The cops show up. The ambulance. The fire trucks. How did I ever make it through this one? Thank you Lord.

On his way to Italy, the Apostle Paul found himself in a ship overtaken by wind, rain and waves. The destruction was great. Lives were lost. Miraculously, his life was spared. The mission could continue. More people would hear the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Glenmarians really have to prepare for anything. The missionary work of the Church is alive and well today just as it was during the time of the Apostle Paul. Great adventures, and yes, many perils lay ahead for those who are willing to take up the task of bringing the message of love, forgiveness and life to a world in need.

St. Paul, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment