Monday, July 18, 2011

Xela

Changing scenery:

I am amazed at how human beings are capable of change. For instance, two weeks ago I was making my way through Kenya, completely loving my experience, but often clinging on to my life. Following this experience I was back in the USA showering with super hot water, destroying a Chipotle burrito, and sprawling out on a queen size bed in my own, quiet room, with the AC on high and the clean sheets over my head. Now, I am in Xela with a new temporary family whom speaks little English if any, I've grown accustomed to cold showers, I rejoice in normal bowel movements (sorry for TMI), and I have started dreaming in Spanish! And the picture above is my room for the next month or so. I guess I have learned a few things thus far:

I really need to work on my hospitality. The people I have encountered are far more hospitable than I will ever be able to be. (thanks host families)

There are really great people in this world. I can't let the few unpleasent ones get to me.

I am able to live without just about anything--but I am quite happy when I have clean food, water and wi-fi.

I am much closer to God out of my element rather than in.

I am forever thankful for the prayer of the Church even tho sometimes I dont want to pray it.

Everyone goes through struggles, some of which are far greater than those I will ever experience--i must be more grateful for what I have been given.

I need about five percent of the things I own.

I really need to do a better job not to waste.

I could go on but the Breviary is calling my name. More later if anyone out there is readimg this!

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Device

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are having a desert experience. God moves you out of your normal comfortable routine, shakes you up and makes you see more clearly.

    Sometimes what we see about ourselves is very humbling.

    ReplyDelete