Thursday, June 12, 2014

The Southern Baptist Convention 2014: A Catholic Response


I had the privilege to attend the Southern Baptist Convention in Baltimore this last week.  Among many other reasons, I attended to be with our brothers and sisters in Christ as they move ahead another year, but to also show them support from the greater Catholic community.  It was just a small way of working towards greater unity and understanding among Christians. 

 

This was my first Convention.  I hope to be able to attend regularly in the future.  The following are simply my reflections after attending the Convention.  They offer both praise for our Southern Baptist brothers and sisters, but also gentle encouragement for those interested.  If they are helpful that is great.  If not, then feel free to throw them out!!

 

·        Mission:  The Southern Baptists are committed to mission.  This is the buzz-word of the Convention—in fact, it is the reason for the Convention.  And it was great to see that they focused their mission to the un-engaged.  That is, they focused their mission to those not currently living in a relationship with Jesus Christ and not animated in their walk of faith.  Their commitment to mission was modeled in the sending of many missioners to far-distant places where their lives could easily be in danger.

 

·        Prayer:  They are a people committed to prayer.  As I walked the Convention floor and explored the many exhibits, I was invited to pray with many people.  This was encouraging.  It is always good when we take time to pray with people from different denominational backgrounds.  We may not be united in all things, but we can certainly be united in prayer.

 

·        Common Ground:  Many people thanked me for the ways in which Catholics and Baptists have found common ground to work together.  This mainly concerned cultural issues that we are both facing as religious groups centered on the threat to our religious liberty.  It was good to see that together we can tackle tough issues needing a strong, united front.  Hopefully in the future we find many more ways to work together.

 

·        Hospitality:  I was impressed by the hundreds of people that welcomed me, invited me to dine with them, said hello, engaged in theological discussions, and just simply thanked me for being present.  That kind of hospitality is so important.

 

·        The Spirit’s Presence:  Though I am not the final say on the presence of the Holy Spirit, for what it is worth, I felt the presence of the Holy Spirit working with the members of this Convention.  It was uplifting to see how the Spirit continues to guide the group, slowly leading them on, helping them discern theological and cultural issues, helping them to pray, and finally, helping them to discern leadership for the future.

 

·        Scripture:  It was inspirational to be reminded again of their commitment to the Word of God.  In fact, it is always a moment of conviction for me in my own life when I am around Southern Baptists to never stop plumbing the depths of the Word of God. 

 

·        A few words of encouragement:

 

o   Science and Reason:  I believe it will be important for Southern Baptists to find ways to integrate Science and Reason properly into their reflection on Scripture and faith. 

o   Public Stance to Unity:  I pray in my heart that they continue to commit themselves more deeply to Christian unity to further the cause of Christ, both as they are informally, but more in a public manner, making it part of their commitment to mission.

o   Eucharist and Communion:  As a Catholic, it is obvious that the Eucharist is very important to me.  I would simply invite my Southern Baptist friends to reflect more deeply on what Jesus intended with the Last Supper, and to especially ask for the Spirit’s guidance while reading the sixth chapter of John.  

o   Be encouraged:  I realize that  the number of baptisms are maybe not what would be hoped for, and that many of the Southern Baptist churches, especially the smaller ones, are struggling to maintain membership.  I would simply say to you all to be encouraged, continue the good work you are doing, and believe mightily that just as many other groups of Christians are struggling at this time (including Catholics) the Holy Spirit is guiding us all.  May we be united in our mutual struggle.

 

Thanks again to the many friends and acquaintances I met during this time.  Thanks to Fr. Frank Ruff for leading me on this venture and showing me the way.  Finally, thank you to our Lord Jesus for the grace and life that he offers to us all, and especially to this Catholic priest.   Be assured of my prayers for the new President of the Convention, Dr. Ronnie Floyd, and to all of my brothers and sisters in Christ.
 
Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment