Monday, January 31, 2011

Prophets and Poetry Class

I am taking a class this semester entitled Prophets and Poetry. In short, this class will survey the Hebrew Scriptures, examining the books traditional categorized by the Catholic Church as the prophetic books and the books of poetry.

As part of the requirements of the class, we are asked to write poetry. I am looking forward to this, mainly because I love poetry and enjoy attempting to imagine my own words into something beautiful.

The poems each have a particular subject or description that we are supposed to follow. For the following poem, we were asked to pick an object in our room and talk about it.

Here is that poem:

A Candle

My room is not mine unless your scent saturates the air.
I bring the heat and your potential is actualized.
Dancing off the walls your voice speaks of serenity.
Your odor softly walks through my senses touching all the corridors.

But where are you going?

Your dancing becomes erratic.
More shadows envelop your glow.
Pitter and patter cause chaos in my ears.
In a flash of grey your heart stops beating.

My only memory is your extinguished remains in my nose.

No comments:

Post a Comment